Kathleen A. Hirce
Katie Hirce, of counsel, is an employment, environmental and commercial litigator. She defends employers in discrimination, wrongful termination and retaliation claims in federal and state court and before administrative agencies. She advises clients, including a Fortune 500 oil company, on environmental investigations and remediations, in litigation and in regulatory matters. In addition, Katie handles general commercial work.
A former magazine reporter and editor, Katie also has defended media organizations in defamation and privacy claims. She began at the law firm after a fellowship with the Media Law Resource Center, a not-for-profit corporation in New York, where she primarily conducted research and wrote about First Amendment media protection, defamation, the reporter’s privilege and news-gathering access.
Katie was selected in 2010 and 2012 for inclusion on the New Jersey Super Lawyers Rising Stars© list—lawyers who are 40 and under, or who have been practicing for 10 or fewer years, and have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.*
- Clerkship, Hon. Dorothea O’C. Wefing, presiding judge, New Jersey Appellate Division, 2005-2006
- Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., 2005
- member, Seton Hall Circuit Review
- Bryn Mawr College, B.A., English, 1998
- New York, 2007
- New Jersey, 2005
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2010
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, 2009
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 2005
- “Sloppy Journalism Is Not Malice,” American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, First Amendment & Media Litigation Committee (Sept. 25, 2012)
- Volunteer, New Jersey Law and Education Empowerment Project (LEEP)