Katherine Riopel Suell
Katherine Riopel Suell
Kate, an associate, concentrates her practice on environmental regulatory, litigation and transactional matters as well as general business/commercial litigation. Kate has counseled clients on environmental issues across a wide range of industries, including pharmaceuticals, real estate, cosmetics, asphalt and cement production, commercial chemical manufacturing, glass manufacturing and petroleum distribution. She has extensive experience representing clients in all manner of complex commercial matters and in administrative and judicial proceedings before state and federal courts, as well as agencies such as the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection.
Kate negotiates stipulations, consent orders and decrees, and prepares all types of environmental agreements, including those for purchase/sale, cost allocation, environmental investigation, indemnification and access. She also has substantial experience representing clients’ interests as members of potentially responsible party (PRP) groups at complex remediation sites. Kate guides clients through site remediation and redevelopment projects throughout the country.
Before joining McCusker, Anselmi, Rosen & Carvelli, she was an environmental law associate with a large general practice law firm in New Jersey and an environmental associate with an international law firm in its New Jersey offices.
Kate was selected for the New Jersey Super Lawyers Rising Stars© List in 2014-2019 for environmental law*.
- Clerkship, Hon. Walter Koprowski Jr., Superior Court, Chancery Division, General Equity and Probate Part, Newark, NJ, September 2009-September 2010
- Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., 2009
- George Washington University, B.A., American Studies, 2006, cum laude
- New York, 2010
- New Jersey, 2009
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, admitted November 14, 2013
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York, admitted June 29, 2018
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, admitted September 17, 2019
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, admitted November 12, 2019
- Supreme Court of New Jersey, admitted December 3, 2009
- State of New York, Supreme Court, Appellate Division, Third Judicial Department, admitted April 1, 2010
Honors and Awards
- Interscholastic Negotiation Competition Winner, SHU School of Law
- Gressman Moot Court Competition Quarterfinalist, SHU School of Law
- National Society of Collegiate Scholars, George Washington University
- Presidential Achievement Scholarship, George Washington University
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- New Jersey Society of Women Environmental Professionals
- New Jersey Women Lawyers Association
- Justice Stewart G. Pollock Environmental Inn of Court: Associate (2012-2014); Barrister (2015-2019), Master (2020-present)
- New Jersey Society of Women Environmental Professionals: Scholarship Chair (2016-2019); Secretary (2020-present); Social Media Liaison (2020-present)
- New Jersey Women Lawyer’s Association: Member, Young Lawyers Division (2008-present); Director, Grants Committee (2019-present); Member, Law School Liaison Committee (2020-present)
- New Jersey Law Firm Group Mentoring Program: Mentor (2011-2019)
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Environmental Law Section
- New York State Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section
- Suell, Katherine E., Co-Author, Natural Resource Damages Chapter, New Jersey Environmental Law Handbook, edited by Al Telsey, Bernan Press, Eighth Edition (2014) and Ninth Edition (2020)