John L. Shahdanian II
John Shahdanian, a partner, is a veteran practitioner of employment law. He is well-versed in and frequently consulted about matters related to discrimination claims, disability claims, sexual harassment claims, whistleblowing, noncompete clauses, wage and hour, family leave and private sector labor law.
John has successfully represented both private and public sector clients, including high-ranking government officials and corporate C-suite officers. An experienced litigator, he has argued and won in both federal and state courts, as well as in arbitration and state administrative tribunals.
John’s skills extend beyond the courtroom as well. He provides anti-discrimination and sensitivity training and drafts discrimination and other policies for both corporate and municipal clients.
The towns of Teaneck, Bergenfield, Dumont and New Milford all turn to John for legal advice, as does the Bergen County Utilities Authority, the Office of the Bergen County Prosecutor and the Bergen County Technical and Special Services School Districts.
Lauded by peers and publications throughout his career, John was recognized in 2008 as one of New Jersey’s brightest stars under the age of 40. He is a mainstay on New Jersey Monthly’s Super Lawyers list and a number of others, and holds Martindale-Hubbell law directory’s highest peer review rating for ethical standards and legal acumen.
John is one of only 42 Trustees of the New Jersey State Bar Association. In that capacity, John’s peers have entrusted him to help the organization carry out its mission and enhance the practice of law in the state.
A dedicated member of his community, John actively gives back by serving as a coach for numerous youth sports teams in Old Tappan, where he and his family live. John was also voted onto the Old Tappan Board of Education in 2016.
- Clerkship, Hon. Thomas P. Olivieri, J.S.C./Hon. Barbara A. Curran, 1997 to 1998
- Seton Hall University School of Law, 1997, J.D.
- Boston College, 1994, B.A.
- New York
- New Jersey
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- Gaines v. Bellino
- Velez v. City of Jersey City
- Potente v. County of Hudson
- Redvanly v. Automated Data Processing, Inc.
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers in America, 2013 to present
- New Jersey Monthly Super Lawyers, 2009 to present
- New Jersey Monthly Rising Stars, 2006 to 2008
- New Jersey Law Journal 40 Under 40, 2008
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Association of the Federal Bar of the State of New Jersey
- Bergen County Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association Trustee, 2017 to present
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section Executive Committee, 2007 – Present
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section Executive Committee Secretary, 2019 – Present
- Master, Sidney Reitman Employment Law Inn of Court, 2008 – present
- President, Seton Hall University School of Law Alumni Council, 2017
Lectures and Appearances
- “How to Take Deposition in a Sexual Harassment Case,” Sidney Reitman Employment Law Inn of Court, 2008
- “CEPA Update 2008: The Basics and Things to Come,” New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 2007
- “Handling a Sexual Harassment Case,” National Employment Lawyers Association, 2006
- “How to Handle a Restrictive Covenant Case,” Sidney Reitman Employment Law Inn of Court, 2005
- “How to Handle Employee Complaints,” Hudson Inn of Court, 2005
- Old Tappan Board of Education
- Coach of numerous youth sports teams